Saturday, January 24, 2009

Old Growth Cedar Stump


Old Growth Cedar Stump
Originally uploaded by doug_r
This image is one I keep coming back to again and again. It was taken in a deep forest in late afternoon in August and so has a rather extreme contrast range. I learned most of my Photoshop skills working on this image, so it's nice to occasionally come back, rework it, and see if I can get any more out if it and/or how my tastes have changed.

I like this version better than any of the previous five versions. The detail in the mid-darks and shadows are much better, the leaves are not quite as washed out and the overall tonal ranger is broader. I think the sharpening is better as well and of course now there is a little grain in there as well as a some fairly extensive burning and dodging.

No comments: