Thursday, September 21, 2006

Spiderweb IV: Cling


Spiderweb IV: Cling
Originally uploaded by doug_r.
Autumn begins in the Pacific Northwest with the return of the rains and mists.

The water drops dance and splash, but the morning mists - creeping slowly and silently - move across the world after dark, gently daub drops on every edge and thread.

This photo gave me an odd awakening today. It was a short year back that I finally understood The Light, at least in a small way. I was making this image of a spider web when I finally began to understand the transient nature that changes second by second, never to return in just the same way again. More importantly, I understood, at least a bit and for the first time, the glorious light of morning and evening.

This little bit I was given to understand and I've spent the last year learning to appreciate. I watch now, all the time, looking for the backlit glow of green moss and the luminous burst of color through the clouds of sunset. These events are amazing things - little fireworks that happen every time the sun shines - and require only that we watch. To me, each one is now a little prize, a private joy given by a sly universe.

Today I was given another gift. Today I learned a little about the subtle nature of The Light: the light during the drizzle of a rain storm. The tiny, delicate highlights beamed from a clouded sun, still change with every passing minute, but seemingly slower, a bit attenuated and more subtle. Such a delight; and I only had to look.

No comments: